Supplemental Security Benefits (SSI) gives cash assistance
to people with limited income and resources
who are age 65 or older, blind or disabled.
- Is SSI Title XVI?
- SSI Income & Asset Limits * SSA Site
- SSI Home Page – Table of Contents on Social Security Website
- Medicaid – Medi-Cal is generally automatic.
- WHAT DOES “DISABLED” MEAN FOR AN ADULT?If you are age 18 or older we may consider you “disabled” if you have a medically determinable physical or mental impairment (including an emotional or learning problem) which:results in the inability to do any substantial gainful activity; andcan be expected to result in death; orhas lasted or can be expected to last for a continuous period of not less than 12 months.
WHAT IS SUBSTANTIAL GAINFUL ACTIVITY (SGA)?
We use the term substantial gainful activity (SGA) to describe a level of work activity and earnings that is both substantial and gainful. SGA involves performance of significant physical or mental activities, or a combination of both. For your work activity to be substantial you do not need to work full time. Work activity performed on a part-time basis may also be SGA. If your impairment is anything other than blindness, earnings averaging over $1,070 a month (for the year 2014) generally demonstrate SGA.
Gainful work activity is:
work performed for pay or profit, or
work of a nature generally performed for pay or profit; or
work intended for profit, whether or not a profit is realized.
Links & Resources
publication 10026 – Benefits for Children with Disability
Children with disabilities can get SSI, too.
To find out if you can get SSI and learn how to apply, go to Supplemental Security Benefits (SSI)
See also publication 10026 – Benefits for Children with Disability.
If you’ve worked long enough you may qualify for SSDI Social Security Disability Income.
California SSI add on 11125
Nolo's Guide to Social Security Disability
We do have a reference copy in our office
6 Steps to apply for Social Security Disability
SSI Child Disability Starter Kit (for children under age 18)
Adult Disability Starter Kit(for children age 18 or older)
Reviewing your Disability Publication # 10068
How Social Security decides if you are still disabled # 10053
- DAC Disabled Adult Child
- Incarceration – Jail – Prison
- Resource and Income Limits SSI
- Site Map
- Site Map
- Social Security – Retirement Benefits
- Social Security Disability – SSDI
- SSI – Supplemental Security Benefits
Medicare and You 2020 #10050
Everything you want to know
Different Parts of Medicare
Understanding your Medicare Choices
Medi Gap vs Medicare Advantage